Sunday March 11, 2012
There’s been some kind of weird phenomenon going on in Michigan this winter as in we’re barely having one. There’s never been snow on the ground for more than five consecutive days and temperatures have been way above normal. I could count on both hands the number of days the daily high was under 30 degrees. Back in November we made plans with Ken and Mindy to go snowmobiling sometime before spring but were never able to because we never had a weekend with enough snow on the ground. This trend followed into what’s becoming Spring, and on this bright sunny Sunday Matt decided my home vacation time on weekends was now over. It was going to be clear, 62, and there was a bottom that needed paint sanded. I warned him that forecasts were showing winds to be near 20 mph that day and asked if he’d rather have me stay home and finish work on the dodger since we had just gotten in all the trim and zippers I needed to finish it. ’Oh no, when I checked again winds looked like they’re slowing down, we should be fine’. I was slightly disappointed to be taken away from staying in my comfy bed all day (where I do my work on the dodger) but also a little excited to get outside on such a nice day.
Making sure to still put on a few layers of warm clothes because Muskegon was showing about 8 degrees cooler than GR I was able to get out the door on this day without any hassle of ‘Are you ready yet? Are you ready? Why are you taking so long? We’re just going to the boat’. Yes, I am one of those girls who will always put on make-up even for a day of hard labor where I don’t plan on running into soul. Not bothering to try and pack any kind of lunch since we’d just grab something on the way, we still made it out the door in pretty good time. Pulling into the parking lot I was happy not to see Nemesis’ truck but didn’t really expect him to be there anyway. As expected as soon as the doors to the car were opened we could feel a nice strong breeze rolling through the boat yard, but determined as we are we thought things may still work out for us. Pulling out the ladder and climbing aboard the first thing I wanted to do was try out my test hatch cover I made a few weeks before out of scrap fabric. Crawling under the cover and on top of all the things we had strewn around under the deck I laid the template on top of the hatch and found out I was not far off on where I needed to be. Good news as I could now go home and start the real thing.
The next order of business was for me to tape sheets of plastic around the boat to make a bubble underneath that would keep sanding dust and debris contained to the area of our boat. After being handed the tarps and an almost empty roll of duct tape I worked hard to beat the winds from taking the tarps out of my hands. On the side the wind was blowing I didn’t have much trouble getting it to stay on but as soon s I started working on the other side there was no amount of tape that was going to keep it on. I was fooled once when I had half the sheet secured, but then a big gust came along and ripped it all off. This was not going to work out. Just as I had mentioned to Matt, the winds were too high and it just wouldn’t be possible. You’d think that by now he would have learned that I’m always right. Plucking the remaining tape off the boat I had to fight the wind again to get the tarps folded up properly. Getting my mess all cleaned up I went to find Matt below deck and tell him that sanding would be a no go today, which he wasn’t at all surprised to hear. The good news for me is that he wasn’t going to keep me out there all day with nothing to do and said after 30 more minutes of work he’d be ready to go home.
Guess who gets to clean up this mess in the future?
With the weather being so nice and me not having been outside much to enjoy it I grabbed the camera to take a walk with my new free time.