Wednesday May 20, 2015
The last I left you with our boat situation, we were trying to decide if we should keep Serendipity or if we should sell her and spend the next however long and who knows how much fixing up the quite beaten up Daze Off. As far as weighing the pros and cons of each, things haven’t changed much. We haven’t made a final decision on it all.
And that my friends, is why I’m letting the fates decide. The big thing for us if we keep Serendipity is that we need to find a safe spot for hurricane season and get ourselves there in a reasonable time, meaning we’d want to leave Florida by early to mid-June. There are some last minute things that would need to be taken care of here, but we think they could be done within a few weeks.
There would be no rushing down thousands of miles to Grenada, or even to Guatemala which we would LOVE to visit again, but more likely end up in the Dominican Republic or Puerto Rico, where with a decent weather window we could make in a week or just over. Having to then rid ourselves of Daze Off, well, there is a story behind that, but it shouldn’t bee too difficult or time consuming. There would be selling our new vehicle, getting some other paperwork squared away, but really nothing that would be keeping us here.
How might I be letting the fates decide our lives you might ask? It’s actually quite simple. We’re going to put Serendipity up for sale, by owner, for two weeks and see how she does on the market. If there’s not so much as a nibble we’ll splash her and go. If there’s a few interested parties we’ll re-evaluate. And if there’s an offer…chances are we’ll take it as long as it hits a certain figure and then dive into work on Daze Off. I figure this is the best way since it’s a decision neither of us can seem to make for ourselves and because we are actually so indecisive about the whole thing, I think we’ll be satisfied with whatever the universe throws at us. Problem solved.
What’s the other stuff? I never really did get a chance to talk much about that new vehicle of ours. She’s a beauty. A 2004 Kia Sedona, without air conditioning and about three door handles missing. We knew when we bought something we wanted it to be a minivan so we could pull out all the seats and fit 4×8 pieces of plywood in it, because heaven knows we’ll be buying plenty of those. Did I mention that every scrap of wood in Daze Off is going to be replaced if we keep her?
Truth be told we would have loved to purchase a Toyota Sienna but it was a bit out of the price range we wanted to pay. We only needed something that will last us our six to nine months here without completely falling apart on us. If we can eventually sell it again and get any kind of money back, that’s just a bonus. We started with a budget of $2,000, and searching all over Fort Lauderdale and Miami we’d found a couple that looked as if they may be contenders. The photos looked nice, mileage was low enough, and all the listings always said ‘great condition’. Until we saw them in person or took them for a test drive. I don’t know if any of them even would have got us back to Indiantown.
Then we came across our current one in Port St. Lucie. Advertised for $1,500, she had 142,000 miles and the photos showed her in decent condition. There was a bit of sun damage on the hood and it was no longer shiny, but that wouldn’t be a deal breaker for us. Going to see her in person we found out she drove well, but the check engine light was on and the owner couldn’t remember what was causing that. ”Nothing big”, he told us, “Whatever it is, it’s an easy fix, I remember that”. Telling him we had to think about it we went back to Indiantown having our rental for another day and another van to look at in the morning.
Getting back to the ‘Dip that evening we received several text messages from the owner, stating that he would bring the price down to $1,100 and throw in a brand new compressor to fix the A/C. We still didn’t know. The next morning we got another text. ’$1,000 with compressor’. Well you can’t turn down a deal like that. So running back out with our rental car we purchased her and then registered her to the state of Florida. Which did require Matt to get a new drivers license here. Hehe. I love the Mackinac Bridge running over mine and I’ll be keeping my Michigan one as long as possible.
So there you have it. A new vehicle, purchase and registered for pretty much what we earned on our sailing instructor gig. Not a bad little arrangement.
That’s all for me today. I’m about to get back outside and watch this incredible thunderstorm come in over the storage yard. If I can handle all the mosquitoes that is. They are out in such force right now that I have on long pants, socks, a long sleeve shirt, and a scarf covering my neck and entire face except for my eyes. Sitting on the deck while enjoying a glass of wine along with the storm may be completely out of the question, but I still have a chance of capturing that perfect shot with my camera!
You Might Also Like: